August 7, 2012
Tuesday
Due to boundary realignment and reasons which the leaders felt inspired to do we moved to another ward, Midwood 1st Ward, last May. It was a very emotional and surprising moment when the Stake leaders and the Bishopric gathered all of us who will be moving out of our Ward, Bensonhurst, the last Sunday of April right after the service. But to make the long story short, we adjusted easily to the new Ward because we felt the same Spirit that we felt in Bensonhurst Ward and in every Ward that we go to.
The Midwood 1 Relief Society Presidency was so thoughtful and sweet to send us a welcome card in the mail. I love that. I was given a Visiting Teaching companion and list of Sisters to take care of at once. I love my Visiting Teaching companion, Ingrid Cuevas. She is my friend from Girls Camp. She is the Stake Young Women President and she is a very loving and thoughtful woman. I learned through her example of hard work and diligence the true meaning of service-- "Service is given when needed not when convenient." and "Forget yourself and just go to work." I was even more impressed with her when i got to know her more through our conversations and when she shared her testimony of the Savior and how she magnifies her calling "no matter what".
Ingrid and her family moved to Midwood 2nd ward but it feels like she still is my VT companion because she's always so willing to help and work.I dont have a VT companion yet but Ingrid continued to help me .
She introduced me to one of the Sisters that we visit, Judith. She is a kind and strong woman too. She is fighting a BIG battle with cancer. SHe said that when found out that she has a Stage 3 breast cancer, she cried but she did not despair, she stood up instead, exercise faith and went to work. She loves God and she knows with all her heart that God lives and will take care of her. I can also feel her sweet and brave spirit . I look up to her courage and determination.
I made an appointment to visit teach with Judith today. My husband, Alan, came with me.As I was preparing myself spiritually to know what message the Lord wanted me to share with her I read the Ensign August 2012 issue. I read the Visiting Teaching message and prayed so hard to God that I may be inspired to know and feel Judith's needs. I took a short nap after that and when I woke up I thought I would just have a casual conversation with her and share a Hymn titled "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". When we reached her home, Judith was resting a little bit. She had another surgery last week and I found out that she will have another surgery on Friday. In the middle of our conversation the doorbell rang and Judith asked me to open the door for her. It was the Sister Missionaries! Sister Dumas and Sister Smedley!! and they were surprised to see me because they didn't know that I'll be there too! We continued our conversation about Judith's surgery, I offered to bring dinner on Friday and then SIster Dumas asked if we could all sing a hymn. I told her that it was my plan to sing a hymn too. When I added that I chose the hymn "I Know That My Redeemer Lives"-SIster Dumas was surprised because that's the same hymn she thought of singing!
I shared my testimony of our loving Savior and friend, Jesus Christ, afterwards. I can never forget that spiritual experience that I had. God knows the desire of our hearts. He is aware of my struggles right now and He is also aware of Judith's battle. He watches over us.The Missionaries were instrumental in bringing to pass God's love and purposes to Judith and to me. I know that God lives, He hears our prayers and He knows all His children.