Few years ago, my husband and I were blessed to know and serve a very special sister. She was very old and stricken with Alzheimer's and lived in a Nursing Home for many years before she passed away. She speaks both English and Spanish but the illness left her with nothing to remember or to share. She doesn't communicate anymore but would gaze at you and give the sweetest smile when prompted by a greeting like "Buenos Diaz Hermana!" "Como estas?" During the first year of our visits-she would still respond "Bien!" with much gladness but as days progressed and her frail body couldn't take the suffering anymore, she would utter nothing; no "Si!" nor "Bien!" which truly sadden our hearts.One day, we went to visit her during lunch time. She was in the day room with other sweet elderlies that have known her over the years. They knew that she doesn't speak at all and they were aware that she would only gaze blankly in a space while rubbing the surface of the table or her clothes with her fingers. I love my dear sister. She's special. I can feel her sweet spirit every time I see her and that alone blessed me and my effort to serve her. That day, I brought with me a copy of the Ensign with the picture of the Savior and the prophet Joseph Smith. In her shadowed memory and from the pale look of her face came out a smile which shows an excitement as it brightened and those beautiful eyes widened as if she's saying "Yes! I know Him!" every time I show her the picture of the prophet and the Savior. Even her friends in the nursing home were surprised to see her react in such a way and they would curiously ask "Does she understand?"
I only knew my sister for less than 2 years, interacted with her a few times but she's in my heart and she made herself known to me through her testimony of Jesus Christ which reflects in her countenance. I know with all my heart that she knows the Savior and that she loves Him. All her memories of the past had gone by but not the testimony of our Redeemer and the gospel that gave light to her soul. She knows that He lives and that He is the Christ which I,too, would like to testify in His sacred name,AMEN.