Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"I Will Go and Do..." Visiting Teaching Inspirational Message...Tuesday, May 13 2008, 11:36am

Dear Sisters,

I have been blessed to witness a great example of service performed by a brethren serving as a Stake Single Adult Representative in the Philippines. The day before a Stake Single Adult Activity, this brethren and his family faced a devastating tragedy causing the lost of all their belongings and property (house and car)---their house caught on fire. The members in that Stake responded to give help and immediate relief--shelter, food, clothing even emotional and mental support. His wife was then pregnant and felt very depressed--the Stake Relief Society President offered temporary shelter and comforted the sad wife. The following day, I was surprised to see this brother conducting the Stake Activity, performing his calling, notwithstanding that big, sad event in his life....when asked why he's there, his answer was simple but inspiring, " I love God and I have a responsibility to do."


We can learn a lot of gospel principles from this story but the most striking, at least for me, was how service was given not when convenient but when needed. How this brethren continue to magnify his calling despite the unexpected, cruel event that happened to him and to his family--not murmuring, not complaining at all but just like Nephi's attitude, "I will go and do..." As President Benson taught:


"Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace. "Whoever will lose his life in the service of God will find eternal life (Matthew 10:39)."


Eternal life is what we're making and pursuing right NOW--while WE ARE WALKING THE PATH OF MORTALITY.We, Visiting Teachers, have a great opportunity for service and that we should treasure it, perform it and enjoy the blessings that God will pour out because of our diligence.